Thursday, September 13, 2018

Rosh Hashana Drasha 5779 - "Jewish Me Time"


Jewish “Me Time”

A number of years ago, I was talking to a woman (I am never good with ages, but I think she was in her mid to late 50’s!!!), who was really struggling with her judaism. She was having a hard time connecting specifically to prayer and more generally with finding the relevance of Judaism in her life.

So I asked her if there were ever moments or times in her life when she felt connected to Judaism. She started telling me about strong Jewish memories with her parents growing up and then she continued to talk about important Jewish experiences that she created for her children when they were growing up. And then all of the sudden the “light bulb” went off in her head. I did not even have to say anything! She said, “I now understand why I am struggling with my Judaism.” She went on to say that two major things happened to her in the last 10 years. First, both of her parents passed away. Second, her children grew up and moved out of the house. And now she realized that almost all of her Judaism was about her parents and her children and when she was without them, there was not much Judaism inside herself. When her children were growing up, she never took “Jewish Me Time” and now she realized that she did not have a strong personal connection to Judaism.

I often find when I ask congregants about what they appreciate about their judaism, they talk about family and community. I often hear about the family sitting at the Pesach Seder. I hear about the power of community especially during shiva. I hear about how wonderful it was to have family and community to celebrate a Jewish lifecycle. I don’t usually hear about what Judasim does for you. As an individual.

As you are sitting here, imagine charting out your connection to Judaism on a bar graph. One bar represents your personal connection to judaism as it fulfills your own spiritual needs and the other bar, as it represents your connection filtered through family and community. I would guess that for many people, the family/community bar would be very high and the bar about the individual would be much lower.

So today on Rosh Hahsana, I would like to challenge us. Family and Community are really important. But in order for our judaism to be strong and sustainable, it needs to be personal. We need to have our own Judaism.

This theme is extremely important on Rosh Hashana. In the famous Unetaneh Tofef prayer, we say that “All inhabitants of the world, pass before G-d like ‘bnei maron.’ What does bnei maron mean? According to Unetaneh Tokef (based on first interpretation of the Talmud), it means that we pass before G-d like sheep. This is certainly one important religious metaphor. Sometimes, we recognize that we are completely not in control. We feel our vulnerabilities and we turn to G-d, the Shepard, to help us through. But there is another interpretation that I would actually like to focus on. The Talmud tells us that Maron also refers to a city on top of a mountain. There was no nicely paved road to get there. So Rashi explains, the path was very narrow and it was impossible for two people to walk side by side. So on Rosh hashana, we are hiking up this very narrow path. Alone.

It reminds me of a hike I took this summer with the family. We got to a certain point and it was very narrow and only one person can go through at a time. Amollia, my 9 year old, runs ahead and she is literally alone for about 30 feet and its narrow and difficult and challenging. I run around to meet her on the other end and my wife was cheering her from the other side. But she had to walk those thirty feet completely alone.

Family and community are so important. They cheer us on. Hopefully they greet us at the other end. But we must climb those thirty feet by ourselves. Almost every “make it or break it” Jewish and Human moment happen when we are alone. But we need to give ourselves the “jewish me time” (or maybe the “Jewish Me Workout Time”) to have the strength to make it up those thirty steps.

There is also an important Biblical persona that relates to this message. The Talmud tells us that on Rosh Hashana, Yosef went out of the Egyptian Jail. What do we know about Yosef? What makes him different from the forefathers and foremothers that precede him? The answer is Yosef is very much alone, in two ways. First, Hashem does not talk to him. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob all have conversations with G-d. Joseph is very G-d focused. He always attributes his success to G-d but you will never find a verse that says, “And G-d spoke to Joseph, saying.” His second sense of aloneness is that every “make it or break it” moment in his life (whether its his encounter with the wife of Potiphar or his dealings with the butler and baker in the Egyptian Dungeon etc) all happen when he is away from his Jewish family and community. He needs to muster the inner strength. Sure, he has the inspiration from his father but he needs to climb those thirty steps alone.

So what is the path forward? What steps can we take so that we have the Jewish Muscle and Strength to climb those thirty steps in situations when family and community will not help? I think we all need to commit to one more hour a week of “Jewish Me Time”. This Jewish Me Time is not the time that we spend creating Jewish experiences for our children or community. The Me Time is dedicated time for your individual Jewish and spiritual growth. It could be through davening, Torah study, or acts of chesed. It could take place at shul, in your home, or out in nature. Whatever and wherever it is is less important. Just make it happen. One extra hour a week (or even a half hour - I know I am negotiating against myself!).

While Jewish Me Time is important for everyone, I think that it is particularly important for people with young children. Even if you are actively engaged in your Jewish life, much of it probably revolves around your children. This is so important. But if you don’t find the “jewish me time”, in 20 years, you will realize that you might not have a Judaism of your own.

I will conclude with a story. I am not sure how relevant it is, but I really like the story so I will try to make it fit!
About 15 years ago, I went to a small shul for Rosh Hashana to be the rabbi. The shul did not have its own rabbi. The davening was very nice, however the Shofar blower was not the strongest. Let us just say, that we made it through the 100 blasts but nothing like our amazing shofar blowers here at Beth Sholom!
On Rosh Hashana afternoon, I decided to go back to the shul to prepare my lectures and sermons. As I am about to walk in to the shul, I hear this amazing Tekiah (shofar blast). I continue to listen to shevarim and teruah and the whole order of blasts concluding with a Tekiah Gedolah like a I never heard before! Loud, resonate, confident and beautiful!
I knew one thing for sure. This was not the same person who blew that morning.
So I walk in the shul and sure enough, I see another guy putting away the shofar. I tell him how wonderful the blasts were and I ask him why was he not the shofer blower for the shul. I see a tear in his eye and he begins speaking in a way that I immediately understand that he is deaf (or at least severely hearing impaired). He points to his hearing aids. He tells me that he used to be the shofer blower. But then someone in the shul heard that someone who is deaf may not blow the shofar. The shul did not have its own rabbi to decide so they asked a very well known rabbi/posek. The rabbi rules that this fellow should no longer blow the shofar for the shul.
I never saw someone who had once done a mitzvah now in so much pain for not being able to do the mitzvah.
(Parenthetically, the question is not so open and closed. There is room in halacha to allow the person who is hearing impaired to blow the shofar if he can hear at all which I believe was the case with this individual. I think that if the community had had their own rabbi, the answer might have been different).
I think about that hearing impaired man every year on Rosh Hashana. In a certain way, the story (especially the pain I saw on his face) motivates a lot of what I do as a rabbi. But there is one aspect of the story that I never understood until now when I prepared this Sermon. Why was this hearing impaired shofar blower in the shul in the middle of the afternoon blowing by himself? Now I know. He was told that he could not blow the shofar for his family and community. But he was there blowing for himself. I imagine that as he blew the shofar, he was feeling the pain and struggle of being a Jew with a disability. But I am sure he was also feeling his connection to G-d and Torah through the shofar and other mitzvot. I am sure his family and community were as supportive and loving as possible, but he was there by himself in the middle of the afternoon climbing those thirty steps that he needed to climb alone.

So as we hear the shofar this Rosh Hashana, I pray that we are all blessed with the amazing gifts of jewish family and community. They are so important. But I also pray that we make the commitment to strengthen our Jewish selves. That we have the strength to climb those thirty steps which will make all the difference.

Shana Tova!


No comments: